মঙ্গলবার, ২০ নভেম্বর, ২০১২

The Edwin Booth Painting! ? Joan Moseley's Mountain Top Echoes

John Wilkes Booth's older brother Edwin Booth saved Robert Lincoln's Life At A Train Station A Few Years Before His Brother Killed The PresidentI finally got to watch most of a taped program by Ken Burns on the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln. It was, to put it mildly, fascinating and awful all at the same time. Of course, it dealt a lot with the death of the president by John Wilkes Booth.

I have pondered a lot the past couple of days and one of the occasions in my life I have lived to regret occurred after my mother died in 989. It was a very traumatic time in my life, not just because of her death but there were other issues I was thrown into at, basically, the same time that ended up being life changing..It was such a life-changing challenging time and I sometimes look back and wonder how I managed to survive all the turmoil. I did, I had children that needed me and a community that needed me. I learned many lessons and am so grateful to so many people in the Running Springs,Arrowbear Lake and Green Valley Lake communities who gave me so much support during those difficult times.

When my mother died my sisters and I spent many hours in our beautiful colonial home in Los Angeles where we all grew up. Visiting our lovely home that our parents designed and furnished with beautiful antiques was always sentimental as adults but it was particularly difficult after mother died. Our father died many years ago but my sisters and I suddenly had our work cut out in going through all of our mother?s beautiful antiques and personal belongings as well as so much more. We had a big estate sale where we sold many of her antiques but we all kept many of the ones that had particular meaning.

Many years before, when I was in college in fact, our mother was willed a baby grand piano and a magnificent large antique oil painting of John Wilkes Booth?s brother. The gilded carved frame that held the large painting was in remarkably good condition as was the painting itself and it hung on the living room wall above the baby grand piano.

Booth has many bothers and sisters but I believe the painting was of his older brother, the famous Shakespearean actor Edwin, who had nothing to do with the assassination of President Lincoln. Ironically, Edwin actually saved Lincoln?s son, Robert Todd Lincoln, when he would have been hit by a railway car after falling onto the railway tracks..The Booth family was filled with actors and Edwin Booth was one of them.

I wanted to take the painting home to Running Springs but for some reason I didn?t and it ended up being sold in the estate sale my sisters and I held. I have regretted my decision all these years.It is a constant reminder that we need to speak up and ask for what we want otherwise we may regret the decision for many years.

I hope whoever has the painting appreciates it and realizes what a ?historical gem? they have.

Follow your instincts and listen to your heart and you can always change your mind later. In the meantime you will have made the right decision for you at that time of your life. I do need to remind myself of that occasionally so as I write this I?m paying extra attention to what I?m writing. I need to follow my own advice.

.

Like this:

Be the first to like this.

?

I have been a San Bernardino mountain reporter for over 30 years. I started and operated my own newspaper in Running Springs for over 12 years. I am fortunate because I love what I do, something many people cannot claim. I love the mountain communities I serve. I a am on the Running Springs Area Chamber of Commerce board and on the board of directors of the Lake Arrowhead School of Dance Foundation and recently retired off the Rim Family Services board of directors.

Source: http://joanmoseley.wordpress.com/2012/11/19/the-edwin-booth-painting/

California Propositions aaron rodgers obama Electoral College chuck pagano A Gay Lesbian daylight savings time 2012

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন